How should we tag questions about key bindings?

Right now we have a tag. I'm wondering if we should use that for all questions of the form “how do I bind a key (or mouse event?) to this action”, or if we should use for questions about manipulating keymaps as Lisp objects and (like the manual chapter) for the general concept of binding a key (or key sequence or other input events) to an action.

| |
  • I like your suggestion, but I'm worried the keymap tag might be highly missused. – Malabarba Sep 27 '14 at 9:31

I think for the sake of simplicity we should try to keep only one tag (and probably aliases) for those two aspects.

I might be wrong, but I would expect questions specifically about keymaps to be mostly about what keymaps are active at any given time and in what order they are searched. Which would indirectly be a question about where to define a keybinding, and how to make sure it's visible.

| |
  • If only one is kept, key-bindings is probably the one to keep. That is the tag used on Stack Overflow. – Drew Sep 27 '14 at 15:57
  • @Drew If we decide that keymap and key-bindings should mean the same thing, we can have both and declare them to be synonyms. – Gilles 'SO- stop being evil' Sep 27 '14 at 18:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .