I'm wondering how to tag How do I display line numbers in emacs (not in the mode line)?

It was originally tagged , but that's a really bad tag name. It can easily be confused with Emacs's framework for defining and setting configuration settings (for which I propose the tag name , but even that is going to be heavily misused). And it's overly broad: pretty much every question can be considered to be customizing Emacs in some way.

Linum mode is documented in the “Minor Modes” section of the manual, in the “Modes” chapter. But or wouldn't do, because “show line numbers” isn't a question about minor modes, the fact that the answer uses a minor mode is an implementation detail. Under Emacs 23, that section was in the “Customization” chapter, but that too is not a good tag name.

So what tag can we use to categorize this kind of visual interface customization when editing or viewing files?

  • Interface or visual-interface is the best I can think of.
    – Malabarba
    Sep 27 '14 at 9:49
  • The tag line-numbers is appropriate. There are lots of Stack Overflow and help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org questions about indicating the current line number, displaying line numbers, etc. Using tag line-numbers does not preclude also using tags about particular display aspects, to indicate better what is involved (mode-line, margin, etc.).
    – Drew
    Sep 27 '14 at 16:01

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .